Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Garden has taken over!

I have budding plants galore!  Squash, Cukes, Peppers, Beans, Eggplant.   Wont be long until we can start harvesting. 

My new lettuce, spinach and bean bed is less than a week old and we have sprouts galore.  Cannot wait to see the Buttercrunch and Iceburg lettuces start forming heads.   Plus my beans are safe now from the birds that attacked our other crop.  They seem to be recovering now, but Im looking forward to harvesting the two new types I planted.

Soon we will be eating lots from the garden and I for one cannot wait!!  You can click on the pics to get a larger clearer view.


 Eggplant has started to flower, from what I have read today, should be approx 2 weeks before we see fruit and can begin to harvest them.  Im sooooo looking forward to making some eggplant parmesan!


This is the new lettuce bed, on the far left two rows are Iceburg lettuce, the next 2 rows are Buttercrunch.  These will both be head lettuces.  My favorite kinds.  The 2 rows that dont have sprouts yet are spinach, looks like they are taking a bit longer, hopefully we shall see some come up withing the next few days.   The far left 2 rows are two types of garden bush beans.  MMMMMmmmm I love me some fresh green beans!  Even raw, straight from the garden.  =)


As you can see below, these are my monsters...lol   Far left are cucumbers.  The middle is melons of all sorts, and one lone HUGE pumpkin plant that is taking over the garden...lol   To the right are the squash and they are getting quite large as well!!


Below we have carrots on the left, next row is cabbage and what we thought was Iceburg lettuce, but is looking more and more like a leaf lettuce of sorts.  To the right, the tall plants in two rows are potatoes.  We are gonna have a huge crop of Yukon Gold. 


Below is the 4 rows of corn, and another lone Pumpkin.  Its getting quite large and has shaded some of the corn and I sont think the ones under it will get large enough to harvest, but we shall see.

I think Trav wants to yank it out of there, but I have this thing about killing plants, cant bring myself to do it...lol


                                         

Below you can see the broccoli plants on the left, next to that is the Romaine lettuce, and then you can see the onions on the right next to the tomato plants.


A baby squash!  MMmmmmmm.  I have been hand pollinating the females as I see them open up.  I fear that we do not have enough bees and other insects to pollinate and make the fruit form on its own.  Hopefully my method will work and we will have an over abundance of a squash since it one of my absolute favorite garden veggies.


Thanks for reading!  I hope you enjoy watching my garden grow as much as I do.  Feel free to come on over and help weed and I may just share my bounty with you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment